Saturday, March 21, 2015

Saturday Tourney Primer

Obviously the tourney staggers the start time of games so you can see the end of every game, but it is likely that you will spend the majority of each viewing window watching one game.  Here are the games you should be watching today: 

What a crazy - but actually not that crazy first couple of days. Now almost every game will be competitive (unless Kentucky is playing).

Afternoon Window: Kentucky vs Cincinnati



Other Games: UCLA vs UAB (12:10 CBS)

Yes - I know you can watch both these games, but if you could only watch one I would pick Cincy and Kentucky. The other game may be entertaining, but the fact is neither of these teams will advance past the Sweet 16.  I am much more interested to see how Kentucky will deal with their stiffest test since pre-conference play.  I expect UK will win, and eventually pull away, but I would not be surprised if Cincinatti keeps it close for a half.




Early Evening Window: Arizona vs Ohio St



Other Games: Xavier vs Georgia St (6:10 TNT)

Once again we have a game in which neither team will make much noise in the Sweet 16, so I'm going to pick the other game as the one to watch.  Ohio St. looked shaky at times against VCU, while Arizona cruised to a first round victory.  While Ohio St is a tougher test - I fully expect Arizona to lock them down and win comfortably.  This is another great opporunity to watch phenom D'Angelo Russell face off against a great (but completely different) defense.


Late Evening Window: Villanova vs NC State


Other Games: Georgetown vs Utah (7:45 CBS)

These are two of the best games today - unfortunately they overlap.  I think G'town/Utah will be a great, tight game - with Utah ultimately pulling it out.  I picked Nova/State as the to watch though because it is the first "real" test for the ACC in the tourney.  The ACC went perfect the first two days while the "best" conference (B12) struggled mightily.  If NC State is able to push 'Nova throughout the game I think it portends a great tournament for the ACC.  On the other hand, this is a great opportunity for 'Nova to send a message to the rest of the field.  I really don't know what to expect, but if I had to call it, I'd take 'Nova in a tight one.


Nightcap Window: Notre Dame vs Butler



Other Games: North Carolina vs Arkansas (8:40 TNT)

Again, two more good games.  I expect UNC to take care of Arkansas, and Butler/Notre Dame to be an excellent game.  One thing is for sure: after tomorrow we will know a lot more about both the ACC and the Big East.  I have trouble seeing Bulter beating Notre Dame though.  I think the teams are relatively similar, except Notre Dame just has more individual talent (read: they have Grant).  Ultimately, I expect the ACC teams to sweep these games, maintaining the conference's strong showing up to this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment