Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Trade + Free Agent Update/Recap

Going to try to "quickly" blast through some of the major moves from yesterday with a quick take on each.

Haloti Ngata to Detroit

Starting with the one closest to my heart.  I think this is a great move by the Lions.  I think this means they are out on Nick Fairley, but Ngata is a great replacement, and he's only got one year left on his deal.  I know Baltimore couldn't afford to keep Ngata on the payroll at 16 million but its hard for me to believe the sides couldn't come to some sort of agreement. Ngata has been the anchor to the interior of that line and was perfect for Suggs and Dumervil to play off.  I expect this to really hurt Baltimore next year.


St Louis/Philly QB Swap

This is a real head scratcher to me.

I was shocked when I learned which direction the picks were going in (with St. Louis getting the more valuable assets). This just doesn't make sense to me.
  1. I don't see Bradford as a serious upgrade over Sanchez
  2. I don't see this figuring into the "Mariota Master Plan"
Maybe I give Chip the benefit of the doubt, but this is just one of a series of questionable moves he's made.  On the flip side: good for St. Louis to finally move on from Bradford.

Jimmy Graham to the Hawks

Awesome! This is going to make Seattle so entertaining, IF (and I think it's a big if) they can maintain the running game.  They got their prize, a Grade A target for Wilson, but they paid a fair penny.  I think this is a balanced trade that both teams could end up happy with in the long run.

McCoy for Alonso

I actually am a fan of this trade for the Eagles. They get a good player back and they get the flexibility to pursue other free agent RBs, or one in a deep, deep draft class. I think its a bit murkier on Buffalo's side.  I feel like they may be repeating past mistakes (CJ Spiller) and am not sure why they are giving up on Alonso (poor rehab?).

There were a bunch of other FA signings, but I'll touch on a few of the biggest ones:

Suh to Miami: Money makes sense, but not in Miami with all the other needs they have.
Revis to Jets: This bumps them to.... fourth in the division?  Call me when they have a QB.
McPhee to Bears: I think McPhee will be the breakout star on defense next year, had great flashes for Baltimore.
Torrey Smith to 49ers: Makes a lot of sense, finally gives Kap a legitimate deep threat.

There are still big names out there (Murray, Fairley, etc) and they will all settle eventually. Right now I think Seattle is the biggest winner and Baltimore/Philly/San Fran are the biggest losers.  I think Baltimore sees a big drop off next year, as will San Fran.  The jury is still out on Philly, maybe Chip has a master plan I'm missing. Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment