Monday, March 2, 2015

Thoughts on the this season of The Bachelor

This season of the Bachelor, save a few zany contestants whose time on the show is now over, is limping into its finale. We're even down to just one virgin. Before the always entertaining Women Tell All episode tonight, I thought I'd share my thoughts on this season of the Bachelor so far, and of the final two contestants. I may be biased, as I'm personally not a huge fan of Chris Soules as the Bachelor, but I'm not a huge fan of this season. Chris is a very subdued and just kind of boring guy. Don't get me wrong, he seems like a great dude. And he'll probably be a great husband and father. But, a life in Arlington, Iowa with him just sounds incredibly dull.

That's why I think he'll choose Becca, who seems equally as dull. Hell, she doesn't even have a passion for hand-holding, let alone a healthy sex life. When they talk, I see two people who get each other. It's hard to see sparks, but Becca and Chris aren't the type of lovers that need fireworks. They'll just be content together. And that's all it seems like they'll need.

Whitney on the other hand, despite her high-pitched shrill and strong odor of baby crazy, seems like she might want more in life. She won't have the opportunity to continue her career in Iowa, and, as much as she wants to be a mother, I think that bothers her. Below is a Google Earth view of Arlington, IA.



Yup, that's all of it (population: 429). And there's nothing much but farmland for miles and miles. There's just no Plan B if she moves to Iowa with Chris. Chris is everything she wants in a man (other than, you know, being interesting), but their relationship would require too much sacrifice on Whitney's part.

That's what has really made this season of the Bachelor sad. Chris Soules just feels as if there isn't a woman willing to take on living a hyper-rural life with him. And you can smell his desperation, his constant deprecation of his hometown and his lifestyle. He doesn't think anyone would want Arlington, would want Iowa, would want him. The Bachelor (and Bachelorette) is a usually a show with 25 desperate women (or men) trying to just get married, and one man (or...you get it) who has his pick of the litter. This year, it feels like Chris just wants to find someone, anyone really, who is willing to choose him. It just feels more desperate than normal, and for a show that is so desperate normally, its just too much for me. I'll still be watching when Chris gets on one knee in front of one of these women, Neil Lane diamond in hand, and I'll be crossing my fingers harder than normal for Chris. Boring as he is, he doesn't deserve to be alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment